Skip to main content

I'm turning 50: Women's Medical Fund

 

Dear friends and family,

In honor of my 50th birthday, I am raising money for the Women’s Medical Fund (WMF), an organization in Philadelphia that provides access to abortion.

Help me raise $1000 for the WMF.
 
 
 Throughout my life, I have been a supporter and advocate for reproductive and sexual freedom:  condom education and availability during the emergence of the AIDS epidemic, abortion rights in the lead up to Casey, access to birth control for the women at my Jesuit law school, and general advocacy for a woman’s right to choose.
 
 As I approach the end of my reproductive years, I now have the freedom and power to fight these fights for the benefit of others.  And while it is exhausting and dispiriting to know that reproductive rights are facing yet another robust legal challenge, regardless of the legal status, women will continue to seek abortions.  My role now is to help the next generation of women continue to have safe and affordable access to abortion so that they, too, retain sexual and reproductive freedom.
 
Women’s Medical Fund is the oldest and largest abortion fund in Pennsylvania. Established in 1985 to provide financial support to low-income individuals seeking abortions, WMF now also works to address the issues impacting abortion access and to create long term systems change through community organizing.  WMF is the sole abortion fund providing support to Philadelphia and counties across Southeastern PA with a help line, information, counseling, and funding for those who need it.
 
  
Thank you, in advance, for your generous donation.

With love,
Rebecca

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Life Lessons

I am a survivor of a traumatic accident. In 2006, while surfing on the West coast of Puerto Rico, I was hit in the head by another surfer.  I was in the water treading on a reef break, having just caught what – as a relatively new surfer – was a gnarly wave. She was mid-ride, and likely didn’t see me. She hit me square in the forehead with her board. Newton's second law of motion is often stated as F=ma.  In this case, consider the mass of a long board with adult rider; and the acceleration of a wave propelling the board.  Only then can you can gather the nature of the force with which I was hit. What followed in the short-term was an airlift from the West coast to the island’s only trauma unit in San Juan where I underwent emergency surgery to repair a massive dura tear and to patch what would later be diagnosed as a complete blow-out fracture of my left eye orbit.  What followed in the medium-term was three years of emergency hospitalizations, diagnoses, maj...