Skip to main content

You have grey hair!

 

“You have grey hair!”

 

I was 29, a baby public defender.  I was bent over at the table taking notes during an interview with a client.  He was an older gentleman. 

 

“Yes,” I responded.  “I started turning grey when I was 21.”

 

“It’s a blessing.” he continued, with a smile.  “It’s a blessing to live long enough to turn grey.  Not many of my friends did.”

 

It is indeed a blessing: to turn grey, to turn 50, to have an amazing family, and to be surrounded by loving friends.  I am grateful.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Life Lessons

I am a survivor of a traumatic accident. In 2006, while surfing on the West coast of Puerto Rico, I was hit in the head by another surfer.  I was in the water treading on a reef break, having just caught what – as a relatively new surfer – was a gnarly wave. She was mid-ride, and likely didn’t see me. She hit me square in the forehead with her board. Newton's second law of motion is often stated as F=ma.  In this case, consider the mass of a long board with adult rider; and the acceleration of a wave propelling the board.  Only then can you can gather the nature of the force with which I was hit. What followed in the short-term was an airlift from the West coast to the island’s only trauma unit in San Juan where I underwent emergency surgery to repair a massive dura tear and to patch what would later be diagnosed as a complete blow-out fracture of my left eye orbit.  What followed in the medium-term was three years of emergency hospitalizations, diagnoses, maj...